Sunday, January 1, 2012

keep calm and...

so it's begun. the new year. 2012. i finally got to open the year with someone - in the recent past, it's been me and my laptop while the rest of the fam slept.

anyhow, this is dylan, almost nine, valiantly staying awake with me so he can be a "big boy" and celebrate. (please try to ignore the "rice bowl haircut" his grandmother gave him earlier today. it shall be rectified. this, i swear!)


i tried explaining to him the concept of times square and the big party and the ball dropping but i guess he needed to see it to actually comprehend what i meant. i also told him that he needed to jump as high as he could at midnight - a soriente family tradition - so he'd grow as tall as he jumped. did he jump? oh, yes. he did.

***


meanwhile, back at the farm...

del and i made a pact to not spend money this year. another vow of poverty, if you will. what you may not be aware of, gentle reader, is that i made a vow of poverty only last year and i kept it faithfully until about october when the fish hit the shan and i went berserk and i bought gazillion things for me. selfish things, like makeup and clothes and shoes. and i know you're trying not to judge me and are justifying my spending by saying i work and i deserve to pamper myself, but i assure you, gentle reader, that there is no justifying my spending. it was obscene, i tell ya! online shopping just makes spontaneous spending at 1 am in the morning so effortless, you see.

so, yeah. my last expense was a modest haul from forever and two pairs of booties from amazon, made at the eleventh hour - literally! - of 2011. and now, here we are in 2012 and i'm already jonesing to spend.

to save me from myself, and to avoid the debacle of last year's vow of poverty epic fail, i'm going to attempt to chronicle everything i wanted to spend here on this blog. call it catharsis and a reality check if you will. along the same lines of journaling your thoughts for therapy, i shall list my financial drama here and hope that doing so will keep me safe and sane.

let's see if i can keep this up as i did the 365 picture challenge (which, btw, i'm still debating whether or not to do for the kids this year).

WHAT I WANTED TO BUY:
1. Goshen Yarn in navy or fawn or natural, or...

these were on sale for today only, normally $3.99/skein and no $2.79/skein and i was sooo tempted, gentle reader, but i thought of the boxes of yarn i have squirreled away under my desk at school, of all places, plus the skeins i have in my regular yarn storage and i gave myself a firm "niet!"

2. Keep Calm poster

does this even need an explanation? i mean, come on! wouldn't this poster look super cool on the wall of my new classroom? if anyone is reading this and has access to this poster or a printer who can make this poster for me, i will pay you cash money...argh! no, i can't! no spending! [insert wail of despondency here]

this is gonna be harder than i thought.

sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment