Thursday, July 21, 2011

Borders blows

A Fond Farewell... Thank You for Shopping at Borders

well, that sucks major monkey nuts. i'd just bought the borders reward plus thingie about a month ago, after being assured that it would be honored online even if stores were closing right and left. i should have paid more attention to the signs, i guess.

i wonder how barnes & noble are still going? or are they next on the chopping block?

sigh.

i feel like this is the end of an era and i don't know if i like the one that's replacing it. ebooks and instant gratification are all well and good, but does this mean books in print are going the way of the dodo? will they soon be defunct, like VHS tapes? will i never get my own ISBN to engrave on my tombstone as i'd envisioned because the publishing industry is going digital?

my heart is shattering slowly as we speak.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is not happy about this at all. Even though she is 15 and of the digital age, she prefers good ole books to ereaders. She swears the smell of them is what it's all about. I do prefer books but don't mind the ereader for travel or poolside. I do like the ability to flip through the pages and not have to scroll. It is sad indeed. It seems the day will come when our kids won't even learn how to write, they will just type on a keyboard. A little scary what our future holds, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Barnes & Noble isn't going anywhere. I just got $150 worth in gift cards =[. I doubt they are, though... they seem to be doing fine?

    Oh, and I still refuse to buy my mother an e-reader. Evil things, they are, yes.

    ReplyDelete